LEONARD DAISUKE YUI
AIA LEED AP
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF ARCHITECTURE
SUSTAINABLE STUDIES CORE FACULTY
Roger Williams University
School of Architecture, Art and Historic Preservation
One Old Ferry Road, Bristol, Rhode Island 02809
Registered Architect, Oregon
“A genuinely ecological approach
does not work to attain
a mentally envisioned future,
but strives to enter,
even more deeply,
into the sensorial present.”
⎯ David Abram
MASTERS OF LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE
MASTERS OF ARCHITECTURE + ecological design certificate
University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon
BACHELOR OF ARCHITECTURE
California Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo
- ARCH 594 Urban Ecological Design
(Credit for Sustainability Studies & Urban Studies Minor)
- ARCH 461 Intro to Landscape Architecture
(Credit for Sustainability Studies Minor)
- ARCH 313 Design Core Studio V
(Faculty Coordinator) "Library as Urban Ecological Interchange"
- ARCH 321 Site and Environments
(Faculty Coordinator; credit for Sustainability Studies Minor)
- ARCH 213 Design Core Studio III
(Faculty Coordinator) "Eating Place: Building Nature"
- ARCH 423/523 Media for Design Development "Architextural Atmosphere"
- ARCH484/584 Terminal Design Studio
(Assistant Instructor w/ Professor Brook Muller) "Performance of an Urban Nature"
- ARCH 384 Design Studio IV
- ARCH 383 Design Studio III
- ARCH 284 Design Studio II
- ARCH 283 Design Studio I
- ARCH 410/510 BIM Fundamentals
- OLIS 620 Urban Ecological Design: Oregon Leadership in Sustainability Certificate
- LA352 Digital Landscape Media "Sensual Landshapes"
- LA499 Comprehensive Design Studio (Assistant Instructor w/ Professor Robert Melnick)
- LA441/541 Principles of Applied Ecology (Assistant Instructor w/ Professor Bart Johnson)
- LA606 Graduate Student Independent Study Advisor
- LA517 Computer Aided Landscape Design
SUSTAINABLE STUDIES MINOR (interdisciplinary)
- SUST 101 Introduction to Sustainability
RECENT SCHOLARSHIP + DESIGN:
- Yui, Leonard. “Rewilding Pallets: Diversifying Ecological Values in Urban Wood Waste.” Presented at the joint International Conference: Architectural Research Centers Consortium + European Association for Architectural Education, “A Global Community,” Temple University, Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2018.
- Yui, Leonard. “Cradles to Cradles: Designing for Non-Human Loops.” Presented at Association for Collegiate Schools of Architecture, “The Ethical Imperative,” in session, “Ecological Ethics: Role of the Architect.” University of Colorado, Denver, Colorado, 2018.
- Yui, Leonard. “Pallets in the Expanded Field.” Presented at Association for Collegiate Schools of Architecture, “The Ethical Imperative,” in design project session, “Architecture in the Expanded Field: From Interiors to Landscapes.” University of Colorado, Denver, Colorado, 2018.
- Yui, Leonard, Yui, Sahoko. “Co-mposter” Co-Machines: Mobile Disruptive Architectures Competition. Finalist – publication, gallery presentation in Berlin, Germany, 2016, 2018.
- Yui, Leonard. “Ecological Aesthetics of the Tatami: Design at the Intersection of Resource and Waste.” Presented at Japan Studies Association Conference. University of Hawaii at Manoa & Kapi’olani Community College, Honolulu, Hawai’I, 2018.
- Yui, Leonard. “Mapping Artful Urban Ecologies: Exploring and Assembling Shared Places through Digital Media.” Presented at Critical Geography Conference, “Envisioning the Future of Critical Geographies.” Pennsylvania State University, State College, Pennsylvania 2017.
- Yui, Leonard. “Language of Architectural Wood: Waste to Ecological Abundance.” Presented at Architectural Research Centers Consortium. “Architecture of Complexity: Design Systems Society and Environment.” University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2017.